What you need to do depends on how long you plan to do business in Idaho. If you plan to engage in business for more than a few days or weeks, you will need to contact:
- The Secretary of State’s office to find out if you need to register your business in Idaho as a foreign corporation or LLC.
- The Idaho State Tax Commission to learn about taxes you may need to pay, permits you may need, and to establish an employee withholding tax account for your employees who live or work in Idaho. If an employee earns $2,000 or more from work performed in Idaho, you need to withhold state income tax.
- The Idaho Industrial Commission to learn about workers comp insurance requirements.
- The Idaho Department of Labor to establish a state unemployment insurance tax account.
- The city clerk’s office of the city in which your business will be located to find out if you need a business license. If your business activities will occur outside city limits, check with the county clerk’s office to find out if you need a county business license.
Also visit the Business Wizard to obtain a customized check-list of agencies from which you may need to obtain licenses or permits, including professional licenses for your employees.