What you need to do depends on how long you plan to do business in Idaho and whether you will hire Idaho residents or use employees from out of state. If you plan to engage in business for more than a few days or weeks, you will need to contact:

  • The Idaho Secretary of State’s office to find out if you need to register your business in Idaho as a foreign corporation, LLC or partnership.
  • The Idaho State Tax Commission to learn about taxes you may need to pay, permits you may need, and to establish an employee withholding tax account for your employees who live or work in Idaho. If an employee is paid $1,000 or more for work performed in Idaho, you will need to withhold Idaho income tax. This includes out-of-state employees working in Idaho. If your business is involved in sales, you will need an Idaho sales tax permit.
  • The Idaho Industrial Commission to learn about workers compensation insurance requirements. You may need to provide an Extraterritorial Certificate of Coverage.
  • The Idaho Department of Labor to establish a state unemployment insurance tax account (for employees who are Idaho residents).
  • The city clerk’s office in the city in which your business will be located or working to find out if you need a business license or another type of license or permit. If your business activities will occur outside city limits, check with the county clerk’s office to find out if you need a county business license.

Also visit the Business Wizard to obtain a customized check-list of agencies from which you may need to obtain licenses or permits, including professional or occupational licenses for you and your employees.

Our Host Universities & Affiliates
Logo for Boise State University
Logo for Lewis-Clark State College
Logo for Idaho State University
Logo for North Idaho College
Logo for College of Southern Idaho
Logo for SBA
Logo for America's SBDC
The owner of this website has made a commitment to accessibility and inclusion, please report any problems that you encounter using the contact form on this website. This site uses the WP ADA Compliance Check plugin to enhance accessibility.